With the 2012 MLB pennant races drawing near its time for teams to declare themselves buyers or sellers for the remainder of the 2012 season. Sports with Balls will be on top of all the deals as they go down in July & August. Check back for regular updates.
As the 2012 MLB Non-Waiver Trade Deadline comes to a close; Mike, Bill & Scott took 45 minutes to discuss the deals that went down in July click below to listen.
Yankees, Orioles, Blue Jays, Tigers, White Sox, Rangers, Angels, Athletics, Nationals, Braves, Reds, Pirates, Cardinals, Giants, Dodgers
Twins, Royals, Mariners, Marlins, Phillies, Brewers, Cubs, Astros, Rockies
Players potentially available via trade in August:
Jeff Francoeur, Denard Span, Josh Willingham, Matt Capps, Kevin Millwood, Carlos Lee, Josh Johnson, Heath Bell, Aramis Ramirez, Francisco Rodriguez, Randy Wolf, Juan Pierre, Placido Polanco, Jimmy Rollins, Cliff Lee, Joe Blanton, Chase Headley, Clayton Richard, Alfonso Soriano, Matt Garza, Carlos Marmol, Jason Giambi, Rafael Betancourt, Stephen Drew.
The Deals that have gone down:
Minnesota Twins traded 3B Danny Valencia to Boston Red Sox for OF Jeremias Pineda.
– Valencia will serve as organizational depth. He started the season as the Twins opening day third baseman and now will play in AAA for the Red Sox until the rosters expand in September.
Chicago Cubs traded OF Jeff Baker to Detroit Tigers for two players to be named later.
– Baker will add depth to the Detroit bench. He is good against left-handed pitching and if need can play anywhere in the infield or outfield.
Philadelphia Phillies traded RHP Joe Blanton to Los Angels Dodgers for a player to be named or cash.
– Blanton has been very good over his previous 5 starts. While not a top of the rotation guy, the Dodgers get a steady innings eater with playoff experience.
Oakland Athletics traded C Kurt Suzuki to Washington Nationals for C David Freitas.
– As stated earlier the trade of Suzuki comes as no surprise. The 29-year old catcher was having his worst offensive season in Oakland, but a flurry of injuries made an upgrade at catcher a must for the Nats.
New York Yankees traded RHP Chad Qualls to Pittsburgh Pirates for 3B Casey McGehee.
– Slop for slop. Qualls is awful but some how managed to make our list twice. McGehee will fill in for Alex Rodriguez during is injury absence.
Chicago Cubs traded RHP Ryan Dempster to Texas Rangers for 3B Christian Villanueva and RHP Kyle Hendricks.
– The Rangers missed out on Cole Hamels, Zack Greinke and Cliff Lee but countering with Ryan Dempster isn’t much of drop off. Rotation help was a must for Texas in their quest for another AL Championship.
Kansas City Royals traded RHP Jonathan Broxton to Cincinnati Reds for LHP Donnie Joseph and RHP J.C. Sulbaran.
– Broxton has been very good in 2012 and will be a force in a strong Reds bullpen as a 7th or 8th inning guy. Only issue is that Broxton has a history of struggles in the postseason.
Miami Marlins traded 1B Gaby Sanchez and RHP Kyle Kaminista to Pittsburgh Pirates for OF Gorkys Hernandnez.
– Sanchez was an All-Star in 2011 but has struggled for much of the 2012 season. Sanchez is a good low-cost risk.
Arizona Diamondbacks traded LHP Craig Breslow to Boston Red Sox for RHP Matt Albers and OF Scott Podsednik.
– The Diamondbacks acquire Albers who has had a good 2012 season and speedy outfielder Podsednik who should help as the D-Backs attempt to keep pace with San Francisco and Los Angeles.
Miami Marlins traded RHP Edward Mujica to St. Louis Cardinals for 3B Zach Cox.
– Typical Cardinals move. Not a flashy move but one that adds depth to the bullpen. Its worked in 2011, why not 2012?
Philadelphia Phillies traded RF Hunter Pence to San Francisco Giants for C Tommy Joseph, RF Nate Schierholtz and RHP Seth Rosin.
– The Dodgers acquire Shane Victorino, the Giants raise them Hunter Pence. The 2-time All-Star will help balance out the Giants starting lineup. The Pence return to the Phillies appears weak considering what they gave up to acquire him just 0ne year prior.
Philadelphia Phillies traded CF Shane Victorino to Los Angeles Dodgers for RHP Josh Lindblom, RHP Ethan Martin and a player to be named or cash.
– Dodgers continue to load up as they look to win the NL West. Victorino adds playoff experience and more depth to the Dodgers lineup that also includes Matt Kemp, Andre Either & Hanley Ramirez.
Chicago Cubs traded LHP Paul Maholm and OF Reed Johnson to Atlanta Braves for RHP Arodys Vizcaino and RHP Jaye Chapman.
– Bigger deal then the names may appear. Maholm has been sensational in recent starts and Johnson brings a super-sub to add depth to the Braves bench. Meanwhile the Cubs acquire 22-year old Arodys Vizcaino who has a very high upside.
Seattle Mariners traded RHP Brandon League to Los Angeles Dodgers for RHP Logan Bawcom and CF Leon Landry.
– Dodgers add bullpen depth in League for a pair of prospects. Though League doesn’t put up big numbers he does have experience in various bullpen roles.
Toronto Blue Jays traded OF Eric Thames to Seattle Mariners for RHP Steve Delabar.
– The Mariners continue to look for ways to improve their dreadful offense. Thames brings power potential though it may be limited in Safeco.
Toronto Blue Jays traded OF Travis Snider to Pittsburgh Pirates for RHP Brad Lincoln.
– The Pirates add a young controllable outfielder with a high ceiling. The Blue Jays add Lincoln who seems better served for bullpen as opposed to his former role in the rotation.
Chicago Cubs traded C Geovany Soto to Texas Rangers for RHP Jacob Brigham.
– Rangers add a catcher to play behind the struggling Mike Napoli. Soto is a former All-Star & Rookie of the Year who is better served as a part time player at this point in his career.
Milwaukee Brewers traded C George Kottaras to Oakland Athletics for RHP Fautino De Los Santos.
– Athletics acquire depth at the catcher position. Look for a potential deal of Kurt Suzuki.
Houston Astros traded 3B Chris Johnson to Arizona Diamondbacks for INF Bobby Borchering and OF Marc Krauss.
– The Diamondbacks nab Chris Johnson in a weak third base market to replaces the dealt Ryan Roberts.
San Diego Padres resigned RHP Huston Street to a 2-year contract extension.
– Padres lock up Street to a team friendly 2-year deal at only $7 million per season. He should continue to excel at pitcher friendly Petco Park.
Minnesota Twins traded LHP Francisco Liriano to Chicago White Sox for INF Eduardo Escobar and LHP Pedro Hernandez.
– Kenny Williams missed out on Zack Greinke. He was forced to settle for Liriano who has been inconsistent over the last several seasons. On the plus side he has the ability to toss a game on a nightly bases.
Colorado Rockies traded 2B Marco Scutaro to San Francisco Giants for INF Charlie Culberson.
– Scutaro has had a solid season for Colorado. Expect him to add depth to the Giants roster. Its a typical Giants move that usually seems to work out.
Milwaukee Brewers traded RHP Zack Greinke to Los Angeles Angels for SS Jean Segura, RHP Ariel Pena and RHP Johnny Hellweg.
– The Angels bring yet another ace into the rotation, perhaps just importantly they keep him from heading to Texas. The Angels may currently be the favorite AL team to reach the World Series.
Philadelphia Phillies resigned LHP Cole Hamels to a 6-year contract extension.
– Phillies bring back World Series hero & the best home-grown ace they’ve produced since Robin Roberts.
Miami Marlins traded 3B Hanley Ramirez and LHP Randy Choate to Los Angeles Dodgers for RHP Nathan Eovaldi and RHP Scott McGough.
– Ramirez could really flourish with a change of scenery. He had been one of the brightest young stars in baseball prior to the last two seasons of struggles.
Houston Astros traded LHP Wandy Rodriguez to Pittsburgh Pirates for LHP Colton Cain, CF Robbie Grossman and LHP Rudy Owens.
– The Pirates are buying!!! The Pirates grab a very consistent & controllable pitcher. Rodriguez has been pretty good in Houston with the exception of the contract.
Arizona Diamondbacks traded 3B Ryan Roberts to Tampa Bay Rays for 2B Tyler Bortnick.
– Typical Rays acquisition. They grab a guy with talent cheap after he fell out of favor with his previous team. Wouldn’t be shocked to see him play very well.
Boston Red Sox traded CF Brent Lillibridge to Cleveland Indians for RHP Jose De La Torre.
– Didn’t take long for Lillibridge to be moved following his acquisition for Kevin Youkilis.
Arizona Diamondbacks traded RHP Barry Enright to Los Angeles Angels for cash.
– Unlikely to make a real impact.
Seattle Mariners traded RF Ichiro Suzuki to New York Yankees for RHP D.J. Mitchell and RHP Danny Farquhar.
– The Yankees and banking on Ichiro being rejuvenated by a winning atmosphere. While his skills have diminished there is no doubt that the future hall of famer is eager for the opportunity to play for his first championship.
Miami Marlins traded RHP Anibal Sanchez and 2B Omar Infante to Detroit Tigers for RHP Jacob Turner, C Rob Brantly and LHP Brian Flynn.
– First major move. Looks to be a win for both teams as the Tigers add a much-needed starter and second baseman. On the flip side the Marlins bring back a big prospect in Jacob Turner who if he pans out is controllable and cheap for years to come.
Houston Astros traded RHP Brett Myers to Chicago White Sox for traded RHP Matthew Heidenreich and LHP Blair Walters.
– The White Sox improve the bullpen with the veteran Myers who has playoff experience in the bullpen as a closer and setup man.
Houston Astros traded RHP Brandon Lyon, LHP J.A. Happ and RHP David Carpenter to Toronto Blue Jays for RHP Francisco Cordero,d LF Ben Francisco RHP Joseph Musgrove, RHP Asher Wojciechowski, LHP David Rollins and C Carlos Perez.
– A rare 10-player deal that came as a bit of surprise. The Astros continue to deal veterans for minor league players. Perhaps Cordero & Francisco get moved in August. Happ is a cheap left-handed option for Toronto.
Kansas City Royals traded LHP Jonathan Sanchez to Colorado Rockies for RHP Jeremy Guthrie.
– Good old slop for slop deal. Both teams acquire a disappointing player in exchange for a disappointment.
New York Mets traded SS Omar Quintanilla to Baltimore Orioles for cash.
– Not the type of deal that makes major headlines.
Atlanta Braves traded RHP Todd Redmond to Cincinnati Reds for SS Paul Janish.
– The Braves picked up Janish as a stop-gap due to multiple injuries to in the infield. He is a decent bench dog who can play everywhere.
Houston Astros traded LF Carlos Lee and cash to Miami Marlins for 3B Matt Dominguez and LHP Rob Rasmussen.
– So Carlos Lee didn’t want to be a Dodger? Well we will see how long he lasts in Miami.
Atlanta Braves signed free agent RHP Ben Sheets.
– It’s been a while since Sheets has been relevant in the big leagues but its a low-risk move that looked good through the first few starts.
Philadelphia Phillies traded RHP Chad Qualls to New York Yankees for cash.
– The Yankees hope to see the veteran Qualls turn things around with a change of scenery. Good luck.
Philadelphia Phillies traded DH Jim Thome to Baltimore Orioles for C Gabriel Lino and RHP Kyle Simon.
– Orioles add a veteran leader and future hall of fame with experience at the DH position. They’ll need to add more if they want to reach the postseason.
Boston Red Sox traded 3B Kevin Youkilis to Chicago White Sox for CF Brent Lillibridge and RHP Zach Stewart.
– Kenny Williams is always aggressive and he takes a chance on Youkilis while giving up very little.